Saturday 24 November 2012

Two pieces of thin plywood cut to the right radius with polystyrene bonded between them forms the mould. The polystyrene was then scraped out to form the 'hollow' and then covered with filler to allow it to be sanded smooth. Packing tape has been used rather than paint to save time. All that is needed is to wax the tape


 First one, three more to go! Will need trimming down in width and length, plus a little sanding but glad to say it released from the mould with out destroying it.







......And the cardboard templates. Drivers side done, now the passenger side.......

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your mold came out real nice. I've only attempted a mold once. I made a mold from a Norton Commando side cover once. It was a real pain getting the part to release...due to it's shape, but managed to get it to come out. Learned a lot about the process though, and if I ever did it again would probably create a two-piece mold. A fiberglas project I have in mind for the future is replicating a flat-track seat base I have. Years ago my father built a boat from scratch, so I had a chance to watch a large project, and learned a lot from that. Your car is really coming along now.

    ReplyDelete